Friday, August 21, 2009

Paris '09

7/27/09 I Feel Much Cleaner After It Rains
Walking off the train platform and into the station, I could immediately feel a change. It was quieter, more relaxed, and more importantly we weren’t being baked alive. 5 days in Paris seems so miniscule and insignificant as I remember back to AP Euro and the 100’s of years of history this city holds. It will be really nice to stay with Tim, I can tell already. He is so warm and willing to show us a city he says is arguably the most stunning on Earth. Almost as soon as we arrive at Tim’s it began to rain. I saw the rain not as an unfortunate low-pressure system that will ruin my trip, but that Paris will act as a clean slate for me to restart my trip on. We spent a few hours walking around; we saw the Louvre, Bastille, Champ-Elyse, and Arch de Triumph. All but the infamous tower. We came back for a nap, which was needed by all, then spent the night with Tim and his friends. Wine, falafel, wonderful people, and a city where dreams come true. This will be a great 5 days.


7/28/09 Oh, False One You Have Deceived Me
Today was one of those days where you can’t really prove anything got done, but it was filled with adventure. It seems like everything we planned for the day didn’t happen. Go to a church, funeral. Go to another church, funeral. Pantheon, no go. And the coup de grace, fika, the Swedish wonder word. It put its roots in Paris, but nej, it too was closed. But walking around Paris with a bunch of “locals” really made it worthwhile. Paris, unlike Rome, had integrated well their historical past and bustling modern city. You can still feel the revolution in every cobblestone, brick and park. After some time walking around, we headed back to the apartment to eat and recoup, for the night held prospects of a free boat tour on the Seine, and indeed it did. I always like taking a less travelled, more abstract route through a city, especially one as multi faceted as the city of lights. We meandered under bridges and past canals as the city floated by beside us. We then headed to Rachel and Becca’s apartment to stock up and head out to the bar. The rest of the night was a midnight feast of conversation and booze, the ultimate mix.


7/29/09 Drink and You Will Believe
I don’t really feel that I am in Paris, but rather in some comforting place with a bunch of people that I am just hanging with and having a good time. We spent the first half of the day relaxing, waiting to go check into our hostel. I love that in Europe not only does it stay light out longer, but if the first thing you do is t 2 o’clock you still have a full day ahead. We got to the hostel, checked in, and took care of some travel administration duties at the train station. Then we were off to the Lourve. You want to talk about massive, the Lourve makes me feel like an ant. Not just because of the sheer size of the place, but the expanse of time the art covers, from antiquity to modern. On top of it all I got in for free because of a law making French sights free to EU citizens, 18-26. Thank you Monsieur Sarkozy.


7/30/09 Lets See The Sights
Paris really is a magical city more so than Rome, in that it blends old with new harmoniously, and in a way that still protects its history. The history is really what I'm here for. Winnie’s AP class was the perfect intro. I’m so glad I took the time and put in the work to take the class. I am sitting in a ark right next to Eiffel’s tower, and interestingly enough the height and age do nothing for me. It is the reminiscence of the Hollywood sign that causes me to be taken aback, For, with both, when you find a place with a good view of the whole thing, no pictures, and when good picture taking opportunities come about, alas. No view. I’m not sure if I am homesick or have no other reference point. It is definitely becoming apparent to met hat 1 year is a long time. I have done so much, seen so many sights, and met so many people in 14 days I cant even begin to imagine what a year will be like. Certainly not bad, but long. I wonder, as I travel around with a group of other people, will I get the same exciting-button pushing-wonder filled – annoyed experience you get when you travel with just one person. I guess I will find out soon.


7/31/09 It Was All A Dream
Thank god the day is over. 90% of the day was absolutely fine. It was the other 10% that ruined the rest. We, or rather I, planned a day trip to Versailles today. Train=perfect, tickets and bag check= a breeze, chateau= thumbs up, free exhibit= nice, bag pick up= ape shit crazy. First I go to get my bag, its closed for a security scare. Finally get in, guess what’s missing from the backpack? The bag with checks, U.S. passport, and Eurail pass. Who knew checking your valuables into a secure bag holding system instead of carrying them on your fanny for all to see was not the safe and secure one. Lo and behold its not there, 45 minutes of searching and blame, still not there. I got to the Lost and Found, no go. Luckily two hours later after leaving and calming down, it is found. I’m not holding any grudges, but I think the beast behind the counter could have been nicer and maybe be sympathetic before blaming me and gossiping about it in French. Excuse me, I know what “touriste’ + eye roll equals. All I know is now this zippered monstrosity never leaves my side. Sorry sun king, I don’t know if I can look at you the same anymore. Well a nice decompression at the hostel should help.

1 comment:

  1. Man, these posts are really interesting, Max. I started reading from the beginning and I can't stop. How much shit can you do in two weeks, goddamit?! Anyhow, I thought "touriste + eye roll" was hilarious, and I still can't stop laughing, and you know I don't laugh very easily (except if it involves babies on pikes LOL). HAHA, French people are so interesting/rude to tourists. Well, I am super envious of your trip, even though it is Europe and I thought I wouldn't like doing all that sutff, when you do it it makes me feel happy. I don't know, it's like I'm vicariously experiencing Europe better through your blog than I would myself if I were there. Well, guess that means your journal's worth it! Haha, keep on going!

    ReplyDelete