Friday, August 21, 2009

Rome '09

7/21/09 The Leaning Tower
Waking up two hours earlier than normal can certainly take a toll on you A 1.5 hour train ride felt like 3, and one of us had to stay awake, me. So even longer. We got to Pisa and it was a rush to see the tower and get back to the train in time. The tower was a bit underwhelming, either because it is exactly what it looks like in all the pictures, and it is not nearly as grandiose as some make it seem. It’s an old broken bell tower for Chris sakes. Our rush was unneeded because our train was an hour late, an hour spent leaning up against a vending machine reading a book. The train ride gave me some time to rest, but the constant humming of the train and the seemingly endless chatter of pre-teen Italian girls stymied any real chance I had. We got to Rome and headed straight for he hostel. A little place on the outskirts of Rome surrounded by apartment buildings and construction. As night came on, some of us from the hostel headed out for a Pub Crawl, a group of inebriated tourists being led from blub to blub, like sheep to pasture. For a price of 20 Euros you get unlimited drinks for an hour, a shot at each club, and a fun filled night. Dancing, Drinking, Dancing, and finally a late bus home. A good start to our Roman holiday


7/22/09 Oh what a night
9 a.m. sharp I was up and planning the day: Train tickets, Colosseum, and the Palatine Hill. Getting off the metro and seeing the Colosseum rising into the sky evoked such feelings of history and insignificance that I almost keeled over, and had to stop to steady myself. To be able to walk where Caesar and countless others have walked for thousands of years is quite odd. Rome is a bit of an enigma to me. A city that at its peak was the largest, most powerful in the world, only to be surpassed 100’s of years later by an industrial 1800’s London, is somehow not itself. Or at least doesn’t feel like the city I have read countless stories about. Kebab carts, tour busses, and apartment buildings punctuate the ancient skyline, while the ancient stone buildings sink behind the smog. I always pictured it less influenced by modern society than it actually is, but the ancient city is worth the traffic, heat, and hoards of tourists. The night was spent wandering the city streets in search of a club, only to be told the city closes down on Wednesdays. Every wrong turn, every dead end, and every wrong bus stop is but one more notch on the bedpost that is life.


7/23/09 The Cult of Personality
I wasn’t quite sure how the Vatican Museum would affect me. Besides the obvious fact that to me Jesus is just some guy in a book with a bunch of good morals, but because I have studied the history and know the corruption and false hope the Church has been responsible for. Never the less, our tour was spectacular. The price is a bit of a rip of, its not like the Church is desperate for funds I mean they have their own country, but it is definitely worth it. Our guide was this little, spunky, hippie lady fro, Northern California, who was able to bring a sense of relevancy to a lot of the pieces. The 100’s of rooms are covered ceiling to floor. Every inch, every centimeter an important part of history. You can’t even begin to describe Michelangelo’s genius. Every part of his work is filled with hidden meaning and jokery. I left the Sistine Chapel and Saint Peter’s Basilica in awe and shock. If this was all I saw in Rome, I would be merrily content. The history of art is relevant in every aspect of life, as is life relevant in every aspect of art. The mind’s constant chatter can only be stopped, by the soothing voice of an artist and his medium. Through art you can send messages to the future showing them you knew, long before they even thought of it.


7/24/09 Today we did…Uh?
Well as one must learn eventually, one mistake can lead to a day filled with nothing to do. When we booked our ticket to Paris we booked a day late. This meant we needed to spend our day waiting in line at the train station to try and fix the problem. Qué sera sera, what ever will be will be. We couldn’t change the date, but luckily we were able to book an extra night at the hostel. The rest of our day was spent lounging around until nightfall, when the fun would begin…for some. Unfortunately for me, some men just can’t hold their arsenic. My travel companion fits the stereotype of the eighteen-year-old American traveler too well. Loud, pushy, and lacking all but a drop of self-control. I ended up spending the nigh with two insanely drunk people, and two others who were in my boat. We were the shepherds, and they are sheep, but deep down I wished they were lemmings, so I would be out of work. But he’s an adult and will have to learn to take care of himself one way or another. I just hope he learns soon.


7/25/09 The Last Frontier
Today was our last real day in Rome, and perhaps the most productive one. We went sightseeing with some people in the hostel, and got to see almost all of Rome. We followed the winding streets of Rome from the tourist packed Spanish Steps, to the marble masterpiece that is La Fontana de Trevi, and finally to the Pantheon, an ancient and spectacular edifice. Rome as opposed to Venice or Florence isn’t really a place I want to wander. It is just too busy and fast to appreciate walking around. We walked over to a little market by the Pope’s fortress, which was nice because I got a little bit of time away from Zac. I wonder if my travel experience would differ if I were with someone that had little bit more interest in what we are doing and seeing. It’s not that he isn’t interested, but neutral on everything, so I feel he is sort of sucking out my energy, but as soon as I am around those who have a specific interest, I am refreshed. Maybe it will change when we are in Paris.

7/26/09 It’s Only Been Six Hours
We just happen to be leaving Rome the day its below 90º. God has a sick sense of humor. Even though we have a whole day left, it will be spent waiting in the train station, because of these backpacks, 45 pounds of my life stuffed in a bag. First though we got our laundry done. Sadly, I am more excited about the fact that I have a clean towel than the fact that we are going to Paris. And I’m pretty damn excited about going to Paris. Also, these clothes will last longer because we wont be sweating buckets anymore. I started a book this morning, and now I get on the train and I’m finished. The 7 hours went by fast, but now once again I have nothing to do. These empty days do me well, a day to recoup and forget past aggressions, as well as everyone’s transgressions.

No comments:

Post a Comment